Monday, June 25, 2007

cold sandwiches and warm days

Somedays, it is really too hot. Now, I don't get this feeling often. I am the one who wears a sweater in the spring, I wear hoodies into summer, and I always (always) wear jeans. So I was surprised yesterday when I found it too hot, It was only 99 degrees. I LOVE the heat. The hubby says that I must have been a lizard in my past life because I like it so hot. Of course, maybe the heat had something to do with the oven being on all day. :)

See, Sunday is the best day for experimenting in the kitchen. I have a birthday party coming up, and I am making the cake. So I devoted the entirety of my day to chocolate (talk about the best day ever). I made a chocolate sheet cake and did various experiments to ensure that it was the appropriate cake for a day in the sun. It was yummy.

By the time the cake was done, it was time to start dinner. I made the roast chicken again with some sweet yellow corn. It was fabulous. I decided this afternoon, though, that I was not going to cook. So, we had cold sandwiches. Cold Lemon chicken sandwiches. Mmmm! Far be it from me to tell you how to make the best sammich ever...

The best chicken sammy

leftover roast chicken (either homemade or from the grocer)- cold
a half loaf of crusty french bread- sliced down the middle
some good lettuce (endive, romaine, or even iceberg)
a wonderful tomato- sliced
some lemon juice
some wasabi mustard (optional)
some good cheddar

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Smear the mustard on the bread, be advised that a little goes a long way. Add the chicken and the cheese and throw in the oven till the cheese melts and the bread is toasty. Add your lettuce and tomato. Sqeeze a bit of lemon juice on and squish the sammy together. Enjoy the melty, gooey, tangy goodness.

No comments: