Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Comfort Food

I was cold the other day. Not that it was cold outside, but I was cold in my heart. See, one of my friends is mad at me, and for something that I did not feel was my information to share. Suffice to say, that I was very sad, and needed some cheering. I needed something to warm me from the inside. So I made chili.

I remember eating chili when I was young. Always the gross congealed mess from a can, served warmed in the microwave over icky hot dogs on buns. My grandpa used to eat his chili with vienna sausages. I could never bring myself to eat that or any other potted meat product. There was something about saying 'potted meat' that was a little bit too much for me to handle. When I decided to make chili today (for the first attempt ever in my life), I decided I wanted it to be fresh. I wanted it to be light and I wanted it to be GOOD.

This is the recipie that I made.

The recipie calls for beef, but I don't eat beef. I used ground turkey instead and I think I like it better that way. Beef has a tendancy to weigh us down, but this chili was filling and light at the same time. It was like a Chili revolution!

COMFORT CHILI

1 28 oz can of dices mexican tomatoes
1 15 oz can of light red kidney beans
1/4 cup chilis (I used jalepenos, but the pepper can be changed to suit your spice)
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
pinch of oregano
1 small sweet onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 lb ground beef (I used ground turkey)
2 Tablespoons Chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Start the tomatoes, beans, chilis, and tomato paste on medium in a large pot. In a saute pan, saute the onion and garlic until translucent. Once done add the onion and garlic to the tomato and toss in the pinch of oregano. In the saute pan, cook the beef until cooked through and browned. Add the chili powder, cumin, and cayenne and stir to coat. Once done, add the beef to the tomato mixture. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for a few hours or until you just can't stand it anymore and have to eat.

This is best served over some homemade crusty bread.

1 comment:

hyper said...

oh man, i gotta try this. Thanks for sharing!