Thursday, June 14, 2007

Lovely Chicken

I am being adventurous. In all aspects of my life, I am trying to take risks, try new things, and not be so afraid. I found this recipie a year ago in a local newspaper. While I thought is sounded good, I was scared to try it. I don't normally eat pork, so there was that concern. Also, I had never used thyme, or really any spices, so I was afraid of that as well. When I got married, I asked for a really cute spinning spice rack. I recieved it, but I never opened the spices until now. I always wondered why every kitchen has a spice rack. It always made me laugh that most of the bottles were full, and only a select few would ever be used. But I digress...

So back to my goal. I decided that I would try one new spice a week. I didn't want to do too much too soon, so I figured that one new spice a week would do it. I wanted them to be spices that were already in my spice rack. And I wanted to make sure they were things that wouldn't freak the hubby out too much.

The spice I used today was Thyme. I had never really smelled thyme. It is gorgeous. I can only describe it as full bodied and almost minty. I think that thyme will be my new favorite thing. Now, if I only had enought time to go with it....

Lemon Thyme Pork Chops

2 teaspoons olive oil
2 pork chops
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup chicken broth
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
juice of 1 lemon
a little bit of lemon zest

Heat the oil in a nonstick pan. Cook the pork chops a few minutes on both sides. Season with the salt and pepper. Put the chicken broth in a cup and slowly add the cornstarch, mixing all the while. Add the mixture to the skillet. Mix in the lemon juice and zest. Simmer over heat until sauce is thickened and the chops are cooked through. Enjoy with some lovely whipped red potatoes. Yum Yum Yum.

No comments: