Friday, June 15, 2007

New flavors and loves

Yoga and apple cider vinegar. My two new favorite things.

I always thought that yoga was a foofy sort of activity. Who has time to sit around and contort themself into wierd pretzel shapes when there is sooo much going on in the world? Not me, I always thought. I like to be busy. I like to have activities. How much of an activity can it be to pose in wierd shapes? So I never tried yoga. Recently, I have not been able to sleep well. I have had trouble clearing my mind to actually fall asleep. I always keep a pad of paper next to the bed, so I can jot down the important thoughts that run through my mind right before I fall asleep. I thought this was helpful to me, but it turns out that this pad of paper started creating more thoughts. Then more thoughts would join the party and I would be miles away from sleep before long. It was rough. So I talked to my doctor because I was having trouble. How do I go to sleep? Maybe there is some prescription that will help me fall asleep faster? Maybe there is something I should be eating or drinking so I can fall asleep? She thought for about two seconds then suggested yoga. Dun Dun Duuuuuuunnnn. So I have been trying it at home. I am following the funny video that I got at the local library and actually started to feel myself slow down. It was wierd.

On to my other new favorite thing.... Apple cider vinegar. I made some good chicken today. I was excited. Not much else to say except here it is. Slightly sweet, slightly tangy, and oh so good.

Honey cider fried chicken.

1/4 cup of honey
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
6 chicken thighs or drumsticks
1 cup of breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon of oil

Preheat oven to 350 degree. Whisk together honey, vinegar, chili powder, and curry powder. Dredge chicken and let sit about 10 minutes. While the chicken is resting, oil a deep dish pan. Take the chicken out of the honey mixture and roll in breadcrumbs until coated. Place the chicken in the pan and put the pan in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes, then turn the chicken. If there is any honey mixture left, you can pour it onto the chicken now. Bake about 15 minutes more or until the chicken registers 180 degrees internally.

Serve with some home fries. And eat on up.

No comments: