Thursday, October 13, 2011

Review: Wings

Wings (Laurel Series #1)Wings by Aprilynne Pike

 Synopsis from Goodreads:
Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.


Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.


In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.


My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I got this book as a free Nook book download. I had heard of the author being from Utah and being recommended by Stephanie Meyer of Twilight fame, so I thought I would give it a shot.

Laurel starts a new school, gets a new guy friend, and then wakes up one morning with a giant flower growing out of her back. Talk about a weird day. She eventually tells her new boyfriend and he doesn't actually mind. Along the way, she finds out what the deal is with her flower and her body. She solves a mystery and saves the day, so all's well that ends well, right?  

I honestly didn't read a single review before I read it. I don't know why, but it took me about two chapters of being completely annoyed with the story to look up the intended audience. Once I realized that it's a YA novel, I felt much more comfortable with the lack of character development and the simpleness of the narrative. Although I was comfortable with it, I didn't really love it. I don't think it was terribly captivating, but I do have to give the author props for the world she created and the faeries involved.

I am not a huge Twilight fan but I feel they translate well to an older audience. I can't say the same for this one, which is probably why it bothered me so much. The book is a quick, easy read, though, that does not require much thought. This makes it a perfect "night" book that you can read easily before bed or when you don't have to think that hard. Although I didn't really love the book, I will probably purchase the next two in the series, since they are easy reads.

No comments: