Friday, January 15, 2010

2010... What a year it will be!

Inspired by all the recent postings about New Year's Resolutions, I decided to document some goals myself. I don't particularly like New Year's resolutions, they rarely stick. On the other hand, I can see why people always make New Years Resolutions, it's a fresh start.

I want my goals to be obtainable. I also want my goals to enrich the quality of my life. Losing 50 pounds might help me feel better, but will it really help me make my life better? I decided to take a look at a few topics to see what I wanted to do this year:
  • Health
  • Finances
  • Community/ Activity
  • Relationships/ Home
We are going to have a new baby in the house this year, so I didn't want to get completely crazy with my goals. I can, however, think about the things I know I want to do.

Health
I have a baby due in April and I want to be able to keep up with him! I want to begin preparation for a marathon, I want to run a 5 k, I want to do a sprint triathlon. I set my goal here as mileage because I think this will help me keep better track. This year I will:
  1. Run 75 miles
  2. Bike 150 miles
  3. Swim 75 miles
Finances
The hubby and I don't currently own the house we rent, but we would like to. So this year I will:
  1. Work with the hubby to save for a down payment on the house
Community/ Activities
I want to be more involved in my community this year. I want to invest my time in things I want to do. This year I will:
  1. Head the fourth quarter charity event at work for Children's Miracle Network
  2. Start a (casual) yoga practice
Relationships/ Home
This is probably one of the most important areas for me. I really would like to have more people to interact with. I want to be a better wife. I definitely want to be a good mother. This year I will:
  1. Be a better wifey to my hubby
  2. Be a good mom and not scar the kid for life
  3. Take better care of the chores in my home
  4. Be more than a Face book friend
I don't want to stop looking at my goals for the year. I also don't want to be sad or annoyed if I find myself slipping away from these goals. I want to be happy that I have goals and that I have the opportunity to improve my life. Not everyone gets the chance to set goals or work towards them.

I also must remember that I have to make the choice each day to follow my goals. I need to decide if I want to walk towards the life I want, or if I want to stay where I am. Today, I choose to take my first step towards that life.

No comments: