Friday, August 10, 2007

Being a new foodie

I have always loved to bake. I have always thought of it as a science experiment in the kitchen rather than an art. In fact, that is one of my favorite quotes. "Cooking is an art form, while baking is pure science". I have no idea who said it, but it is plastered in my new kitchen for the world to see.

In spite of my love for baking, I have never really been concerned about baking. You see, for many years of my life, I battled an eating disorder. I did not eat, or if I did it would come up later. I hated my body and felt that food made it that way. I was blind until about 4 years ago. I still remember the turning point. I had just eaten an amazing creme brulee, and my head was saying get it out. My body, however, was telling my head to shut up, because this was a full sensory experience that it did not want to give up. It was fighting to keep the wonderful taste alive for as long as it could. In the end the body won. And although I have had setbacks on the road of food, I am now officially concerned about food.

I am amazed by all things food now. I troll the food blogs like the younger set trolls myspace. I love the way people are so in love with their food. I am amazed by how much work goes into a blog. I don't even have enough time to post as much as I would like to, and some blogs have new posts everyday. Stories, trivia, and recipes all combined for the world to see, feel, and enjoy. I can't thank people enough for their blogs. I have found so many recipes that I now feel as if I can't live without. Food bloggers are like my celebrities. Who cares what Britney, Paris, or Nicole did last week? I care what the bloggers said. I care what recipes they have created. I want to get in my kitchen and bake, bake, bake.

I am now officially concerned. I still like to bake, but now I am also concerned about cooking. This is a new experience for me. I have never thought of myself as a cook. I was scared to cook anything on the stove top that did not involve chocolate. I am now trying to perfect my art of cooking. I am also inspired constantly, by the food blog world. Where else can you go and learn not only how to make something, but the pleasure that someone had sharing it with you. I humbly thank all the food bloggers out there for letting me into their recipe box and into their lives.

So if anyone stumbles across my small boring blog, Welcome. I hope you enjoy what I have to offer and maybe be inspired in your kitchen too.

No comments: